Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!


Happy Turkey Day, my dear blog readers! Today is a day filled with family, food, football, and of course, turkey. I am a big fan of Thanksgiving. I love apple pie and butternut squash. I love being around my family and just hanging out. It is the perfect low-key holiday. But as you know, I’m in Florence, where Thanksgiving does not exist. But that did not stop my program advisors from throwing us a wonderful dinner party (complete with turkey, mashed potatoes, and apple pie). I had a fabulous time with all my friends, sitting around a big table and eating great food and sharing stories. The one thing I missed was what my family does at the dinner table. We go around the table and say what we are thankful for. So I decided to share my thoughts with you!

- I am thankful for my family and friends, both at home and in Florence, for all their love and support.

- I am thankful for my wonderful roommates, who provide endless laughs and fun times!

- I am thankful that all my classes are going well (especially Italian).

- I am thankful for my Mercato Centrale vendors (mother/daughter grocer and grandpa butcher) for their patience and help with my Italian language skils – I have learned so much from them.

- I am thankful for Mercato Centrale itself (it has helped me become a locavore).

- I am thankful for comfortable walking shoes.

- I am thankful that my mom and grandma taught me how to cook… without those skills, I would starve/live on pasta for my whole time here in Florence.

- Finally, I am thankful for you, my dear blog readers, for sharing in this experience with me!

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for my beautiful niece Catherine, and watching her experience so many wonderful things in Florence and Italy. I am thankful that she is sharing her impressions with us on her excellent blog. I am thankful for her wonderful family, whose love fills my heart with joy. I am grateful for my own family, my children, whose love has been my great joy. I am grateful for such a surfeit of food on the table that we have too many leftovers. I am thankful for friends who love me by choice, not necessity. I am thankful for the smiles of children and strangers who brighten my day. I am thankful for all the beauty I have been able to view in nature, in art and architecture, and in literature. I am grateful for the beautiful clothing that my tireless mother has sewn for my sister and me and her grandchildren. I am grateful
    for the freedom and opportunities that brought my grandparents to the US.
    I am grateful the computer, who makes it possible to connect with you and others I care about who are miles and miles away.I am grateful for a warm bed on a cold, rainy night. I am grateful for my cochlear implant, that
    allowed me to hear again the robin's song, running water, the turn signal on a car, footsteps, creaking doors, the microwave beep, cellphone ringtones, a tea kettle's whistle, bells ringing, gloves dropped, cat paws padding across the floor, and the rustle of leaves in the wind.

    ReplyDelete