Monday, October 4, 2010

Ode To The Food Market


Today’s blog is all about one of my favorite places in Florence – Il Mercato Central. I go every week and it is my ritual… I have been going every week since I have been in Florence and it has anchored my weekly routine.

Today I went to the market with a plan, but most times I go and just pick out what looks good that week and plan meals around that. It baffles me the selection that this market offers. But I also have to say that it is very seasonal. A few weeks ago, peaches were taking over the stands. Now they are only occupying a small space, while squash takes their original place as king crop. Not knowing what will be at the market forces me to be flexible and creative when it comes to my produce.

Like I said, I had a plan today. I wanted to make carrot-ginger soup, so I needed one pound of carrots and ginger. The carrots looked amazing so I bought two kilos of carrots (which I know is about four pounds), a kilo of string beans, and a bunch of basil, all for six euro. That is what I love about this market – fresh produce can be plentiful and cheap if one eats with the season. I could have gotten a kilo of peaches but that would have been four euro. Why would I do that, when I can get a lot more for my money?

The other benefit of going to the market every week is that I have bonded with the grocers and butchers. They know my face and that I am a good, reliable customer. I am always greeted with a smile and a “Ciao Bella” from Mother/Daughter grocer (today I met Father Grocer, who is just as patient with my Italian). I can practice my Italian and if I mess up (which I do very frequently), they help me sound out the word and let me try again (I feel like I am five and learning how to read, but it really does help). It is a safe haven for Italian language practice – they take their time with me, even if they have a long line waiting.

The meat market still throws me for a loop. The smell is sharp and acrid and it takes getting used too (I don’t notice it after a few moments though). I usually make a beeline for my butcher, a cute old father and son duo. I get my protein of choice (usually free-range ground beef – chicken is really expensive, so I go to the supermarket for it) and pay for it. The son is a little less patient, but the father lets me try my hand saying my order in Italian. Usually if there is a long line and the father sees me, he usually takes my order, leaving the locals to order from his son. He makes sure that I say my order properly (he doesn’t give me anything unless I ask in Italian because he says it’s good practice) and then gives me my meat all wrapped up perfectly.

Today, instead of heading out the doors and to the baker, I walked around the whole market, looking for ginger. There are a few grocers in the meat market (most of the produce is sold outside in a tent), a few bakers, and lots of olive oil shops. It was fun walking around and looking at all the things for sale. I found my ginger and bought a piece and wrapped it up to be used in my soup.

After the bakery, I went home and unpacked my goods. All my purchases totaled up to 12 euro (2 kilo carrots, one kilo string beans, a bunch of basil, a piece of ginger, 200 grams of ground beef, a loaf of whole wheat bread, and a baby ciabatta). It is so easy to find cheap, seasonal food here – it is good for me and for the environment!

The carrot-ginger soup… well that turned out amazing! It must have been all the fresh ingredients put into it. I love my market and do not think I could survive without it! It allows me to be environmentally conscious and be able to be a locavore…. It is awesome.

My soup and sandwich dinner!

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Ciao Koukla!
    Don't you love how the Italians say ginger?: I recall it is something like "zinzarro"-It sounds whimsical and melodic,like it belongs on a merry-go-round.
    Your soup looks delicious! It looks like you have learned your way around the food market, and have earned the respect of the vendors. Brava!!! Keep up the great work. Love and hugs, Thea Cleo

    ReplyDelete