Monday, October 11, 2010

Spiritual Sunday

Another day, another beautiful place to see. Today we went to Assisi with my program and it was spectacular. The weather was great; fall had truly come - crisp, clean, and sunny. What is different about Assisi is that it is the birthplace of the Franciscan Order of monks, so it is a large spiritual center. It was an amazing trip, one that, believe it or not, made me more self-aware.

After two previous trips this weekend, I passed out on the bus ride to Assisi, so I missed the countryside (which was not Tuscan – we were in Umbria, another region of Italy). When we got to Assisi, I learned that Assisi was on top of a very large hill, surrounded by forests. I love to walk and hike, but I really wasn’t in the mood to hike up a hill of that magnitude (to prove how out of shape I am, my legs are uber sore just from some hiking on Friday and walking around on Saturday). We met up with our guides and I was about to grumble to my roommates that there was going to be no way I was going to haul myself up that hill when we stopped walking in front of escalators. Yes, escalators – I rode one up the hill! Very exciting!!

We walked through the huge gate, and right in front of us was a huge church. It was the Basilica of St. Claire (the bricks were pink and white, very girlie). She was a daughter of noble birth who was called to a higher power, ran away from home, and since she could not become a Franciscan monk (St. Francis had already started his monastery), she created her own convent. She was buried in the church’s crypt, where they also keep garments she and St. Francis wore (so basically it’s like a museum). Since it was Sunday, we had to go into the church without a guide (Sunday is the day of rest, so that means no work can be done). Mass was being performed and we quietly followed the stream of people going down into the crypt. The priest was giving the sermon but the air was still filled with the scent of incense. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath, comforted by the familiar smell. At that moment, I felt so homesick – for my family, friends, and for the comfortable routine I have. I quickly pulled myself together and proceeded into the dimly lit crypt.


It was the nicest crypt I have ever seen, about as nice as the one in the Vatican. The walls were nice and new, museum-like lights highlighted important items and thick pieces of plexi-glass separated us from the garments and items that St. Claire and St. Francis used. The line directed me from the items to the other side of the crypt. Working my way around the little chapel, I walked to the window where I could see the tomb of St. Claire. As respectful as I could be, I gazed at the coffin of the girl who gave up everything to serve God. Next to me, a woman clutched the bars that were on the window, as if they were the only thing that anchored her to this spot. It reminded me of when I was in Greece and a woman crawled on her hands and knees to a chapel honoring a saint who performed healing miracles. It amazes me the faith some people have and I have so much respect for them.

I was blinded as I walked out into the sunshine after seeing the crypt. I was greeted with panoramic views of the Umbrian countryside. After a quick photo-op (of course), we headed throughout the back streets of Assisi. It was amazing to see a town so removed from the outside society – washers and dryers are a recent occurrence. It is a beautiful town, full of life and pride. Our tour guide took us to the last piece of Roman architecture still standing in Assisi, the Temple of Minerva. You would think that a Roman temple would look out of place amongst the brick and stone, but it fits in beautifully.
The countryside

The last place we toured was the Basilica of St. Francis. What makes this so special is that it was bestowed the title “World Capitol of Peace” by the Pope. St. Francis worked hard for peace and it is here that peace conferences take place. In the lawn that stretches out from the church, the word “PAX” (peace in Latin) is formed out of bushes. The simplicity made it so beautiful and so powerful at the same time.

PAX
But how does all of this make me more aware of myself… When we were being briefed about the trips our program was going to take us on, we were told about Assisi. We were told that it has two basilicas, but it really does not make it really religious, and they were right. I am religious, but the town has a vibe about it. Walking around, there was an energy that made you feel like you were a part of something bigger than yourself. It is really hard to explain, but for me, it made me feel connected with my innermost self. When I do yoga (which is pretty infrequently these days), I get the same feeling after I finish a particularly strenuous session. When I rest in child’s pose, with my knees curled under my torso, my arms outstretched, and my forehead resting on the floor, I feel connected to myself. When I am in church and I sit and reflect, I feel connected to my inner self.

As I sit here writing my blog (this entry turned out a lot more serious than intended…), and reflect on Assisi, one word keeps resounding in my head – spirituality. I have felt connection with myself and maybe to a higher power (whoever it maybe) through being out in nature, through yoga, and through meditative prayer. These are three very different disciplines but in a way they are all connected – they all make me become more self-aware. And I guess this is what St. Francis wanted. He wanted people to come from everywhere, every religion, every belief system, every walk of life, and connect with one another and to see that we are more similar than we are different.

My semester here in Italy is proving that I am learning not just about food, wine, environmentalism, and Italian, but of spirituality, peace, and self-awareness and acceptance.

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Well said Koukla!
    It seems like Assisi made a powerful impression on you. Your photos reinforce your descriptions of its magnetic beauty and spiritual vibe. So glad you had the chance to visit.

    Love,
    Thea Cleo

    ReplyDelete