Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Beginning


Today I left for my semester in Florence, Italy. It is crazy to think that for one hundred and eleven days, I will be immersing myself in a culture filled with food, friends, and spectacular countryside. I am nervous about living in a culture quite different from my own, but I am very excited to enjoy a change of pace.

Why am I going off to Florence? Am I an art major who wants to experience a city where art was created so organically, yet it is still so relevant to today’s society? Or am I an aspiring chef that wants to go and learn the simplicity of cooking with fresh ingredients? Nope, I am neither one… I am a biology major with a concentration in environmental studies. My chosen field of study revolves around genes, ecosystems, biospheres, and other organic models – and I feel like it has nothing to do with art, food, or Florence.

Florence University of the Arts (my amazing university) does have classes for a environmental studies major, so my semester abroad has a great influence on my college career path. I am taking fabulous courses, like sustainable tourism and environmental conservation (so excited!). Also, my extreme lack of Italian language skills (which is a fancy way of saying I have none) will hopefully improve with my twice weekly class.

This blog is not really one of self-discovery, just a way to remember and record the fabulous adventures that will fill my life for the next one hundred and eleven days. I would be lying to say that I will come out of this experience without change – I fully expect myself to change in certain ways. Being in a totally different environment is going to teach me patience and flexibility, and hopefully how my focus of study can apply to art, food and Florence.

I hope you continue to check back and share your thoughts on my adventures – Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment