Thursday, September 23, 2010

How Not To Be A Tourist In Florence...


It has been a low-key couple of days, so I decided to write a list of things that I have observed in my transition from tourist to townie for my blog entry. Here are some helpful hints if you are coming to Florence:

1. Blend in – dress like the locals (within reason). Summer is cute sundresses, nice shorts, simple, classic shirts, and nice sneakers. As much as you love that ratty worn-in t-shirt, you will stick out in a sea of well-dressed Italians.

2. Do NOT walk around yelling in English. As I walk through Piazza Signora, I always hear, “GO UP NEXT TO THE DAVID SO I CAN GET A CHRISTMAS CARD PICTURE!!!!!!!!”. I know it is very exciting to see all the beautiful sights of Florence, but yelling distracts everyone else from what they are doing (plus it is really annoying).

3. Do not get all upset if people do not wait for you to take a picture. People have places to go – students need to get to school, people need to go to work, little kids love running around. If you really need a good picture, try early in the morning when there are less people.

4. Do look both ways before crossing the street – the cars will NOT stop for you! (that goes for bikes as well)

5. Do not buy anything being sold off the ground (bags, watches, etc). These items are counterfeit and you can be fined many thousands of dollars (for that much, you can buy the real thing).

6. Something that intrigues me is that all the tourists eat gelato (the Italian version of ice cream) at 10 am. There is nothing wrong with it – it’s just an interesting thought.

7. If you REALLY want to blend in (I love doing this), grab an Italian newspaper (they get handed out for free in the morning) and pretend to read it.

8. Do not have pizza or pasta the whole time you are here. Try everything, plus you get sick of pizza and pasta pretty quickly. Beef is really great here and so is bruschetta (toasted bread with olive oil; if you want tomatoes on it, you need to ask for bruschetta con pomodori). Of course, there is nothing wrong with chicken (I eat it all the time). Try everything but I’d stay away from tripe (it is a local specialty, but I have neither the desire nor the stomach for it).

9. Ask for directions if you need them – and always ask a police officer. Most of the time, they speak English and they will point you in the right direction. If you cannot find a cop, go into a pharmacy, especially in touristy areas – someone will definitely speak English.

10. Do get lost – it is the best way to see Florence and find amazing places that you’ll be talking about forever.

11. Do try to learn some Italian. Just using “per favore” and “grazie” (please and thank you) will be the best thing you ever do.

12. Be prepared for smaller cars, smaller hotel rooms, smaller appliances, smaller portions of food, and smaller spaces. It is so different but you’ll get used to it quickly.

13. The food is really fresh and usually really local – food tastes so much better here…

14. As my Italian professor says, “Don’t not be a hooligan”.

15. Walk, walk, walk. It is so tempting to take a taxi, but my best memories are from when my friends and I have just walked around. Walk until your legs hurt; it is good exercise and the only way you can truly see Florence. Just walk in proper walking shoes – I have no idea how Italian women run around the cobblestones in high heels (I hurt my ankle with just sneakers…).

16. Haggle with the San Lorenzo leather market merchants. It is lots of fun and you get a great purse (or two, or three…) at a great price.

17. Finally, let yourself go and be open to new experiences!

Some helpful hints and tips that I have observed every now and then. Who knows what I’ll learn next?

Ciao! 

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Catherine,

    Oh the joy I am having reading your blogs!!!!! I feel like I am there with you. Italy is such a wonderful, colorful, memory making country. I love that you are having this wonderful experience. Cannot wait to talk to with you in person about all your wonderful memorable moments!!!!!

    Looking forward to the next entry.

    Ciao bella,
    Filakia polla,

    Lia

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Do NOT walk around yelling in English. As I walk through Piazza Signora, I always hear, “GO UP NEXT TO THE DAVID SO I CAN GET A CHRISTMAS CARD PICTURE!!!!!!!!”. I know it is very exciting to see all the beautiful sights of Florence, but yelling distracts everyone else from what they are doing (plus it is really annoying)."

    written like a true townie.

    and the newspaper thing. clever.

    did you know that pharmacists in kenya are called chemists? they don't speak english and they sell drugs in english. it was molto confusing. look at me. getting all international on you!

    i'm probably not going to be able to read your blog until next weekend but OMG I MISS YOU SO MUCH AND THESE ENTRIES MAKE ME FEEL LIKE YOU'RE STILL HERE WHILE STILL BEING OVER THERE =)

    ReplyDelete