Friday, September 17, 2010

Low-Key Days


I am smooshing two days together for this blog post because they were so low-key I have neither had a resounding revelation nor a funny story to tell.

Yesterday was class all day. Sustainable Tourism was interesting; we learned about what sustainable tourism is about. It was basically asking us how can we tour around in an environmentally friendly way – using resources but keeping enough and leaving safeguards so future generations can enjoy the same location (like we learned that Venice is sinking and it only will take one good storm to totally wipe it out – never living in Venice). It will be interesting to see how we build upon this concept.

My Italian class was very challenging yesterday – we learned definite and indefinite articles. We were doing textbook problems as a class and we would come to a word, say it in Italian with its article. As we felt a sigh of relief for saying the correct answer, the professor would frown a little bit and say, “Well, actually for that word, there is a special case”. And this went on and on, and I can now say that I was really lost. The professor must have seen my lost face and she said that this was the hardest part of learning Italian. So, I will let you know how my Italian progresses next week. What I am really excited for is my homework. I have to go to the market with this list of different food products and have to ask what the names are in Italian. I get to shop for food and do homework at the same time – multitasking at its best!

Our nighttime activities involved pizza at the local pub near us, beers and limoncello for everyone. After, we walked around and looked at Florence all illuminated (which is so much more beautiful than the daytime, trust me). We found ourselves at a popular bar and we danced all night. It was a fun outing with my friends.

This morning was our first really gray, rainy day in Florence. My roommates and I stayed in, sat around in pjs, had breakfast for lunch, and did homework. It was a perfect low-key day. All that is left is packing for Verona (where we are going for the weekend with our program) and sleeping. Very excited to see the setting for Romeo and Juliet – maybe I will find myself a Romeo…

Ciao and talk to you on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment