Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The San Lorenzo Market


If you have ever been to Florence, you should have gone to the San Lorenzo Leather Market. It is a wonderland of leather goods – purses, jackets, gloves, wallets, and belts. I love the smell of the leather and it is so much fun to interact with the merchants.

My roommate and I decided to walk around the market a little bit before dinner (after we went to the pharmacy – the cute pharmacist was there and his ring was on his middle finger, so not married… hmmmm). I found a beautiful bag (a creamy brown with camel trim) and I really wanted it. But the merchant was selling it for €75. I am WAY too practical for that. So I decided to haggle and I have to say, I am very good at it (or at least I think I am). I told him that the bag was really beautiful but I am not dropping that kind of money on a bag. So he turned around and asked me what I thought the bag was worth. We went back and forth until he dropped the price to €55. Happy Birthday to me!!!! I got it – it was a great bag for a great price and every time I wear it, I’ll think of Florence.

What makes the market a lot of fun are the merchants themselves. They call you “bella” (beautiful), offer you student discounts, or they have really cool stuff. Each one tries to connect with you and then proceeds to explain to you that you really do need that €100 purse or €300 jacket. But everyone once in awhile, you get a really great merchant. My roommate was looking for a bigger, across-the-body purse. She saw this beautiful one at this one stand. It was camel colored and had great pockets and a strap that could be lengthened or shortened. It was perfect. She haggled a good price, but noticed that it had a little spot on it. The merchant ran, literally ran, to go get her a new one. It was the best customer service I have ever seen.

I need to find a nice black bag, so I have been looking through the market for potential purchases. I stopped and looked in a tent and out comes a guy about my age. He was cute and he asked me what I was looking for. So I told him – “A black bag that is not too big, ladylike, and I can wear over my shoulder”. So he says, “I think I have a few” in perfect American English. I think I stared at him for a really long time. So we chatted a little bit and I looked at the purses. Talking to him was really nice because if I closed my eyes, it felt like I was home. It was comforting but also made me realize that I am on an adventure of a lifetime – I am purse shopping in FLORENCE!

Overall, it is good to make connections because they can probably give you a better deal than someone else. So maybe I’ll be back to my American (I think) merchant get a black bag… we shall see.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment