Wednesday, September 15, 2010

No Pointing Fingers!

A low-key day in Florence today. Got up early and went to my Environmental Conservation class. It was very entertaining because we learned about how humans have impacted the Earth (we kinda trashed it according to leading scientists). It is my favorite class I have decided. We are going to Florence's natural science museum in a few weeks, so I'll definitely let you know what its like and definitely will post pictures!

The big part of my day, though, was learning how to order food in my Italian class. I have a good relationship with the mother/daughter grocers, so they are really patient with me and my limited Italian skills. When I ordered the ground beef, I was getting a little flustered with the growing line behind me, so I pointed at the ground beef, said the name in Italian, and added “per favore” (please). But overall, most people talk to me in English first. In class, I realized it is not really polite to order food by pointing at it. I need to say, “Anch’io vorrei…” (For me, I would like…). Of course, please and thank you are always required. I am very excited to use my Italian the next time I go to the market or the restaurant. I feel a lot more confident because now I know how to ask for food politely.

I wrapped up my low-key day by starting one of my essays and doing some homework. Things are starting to slow down and it feels like I am finally in my routine. I think I am becoming a Florentine.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment