Saturday, September 25, 2010

Let's Go On A Picnic!


Today was one of the best laid-back days I have ever had. We woke up to no water (this was day number 3) so I walked next door to the supermarket and bought three liters of water. I then showered to the best of my ability (I have no idea what people did before running water…). As squared away, I was ready to start my day. I did a little bit of homework and then packed my bag full of lunch, a blanket, and water and then my roommate and I set off to our program’s office because today we were having a picnic in Boboli Gardens!!!

We got there and we had a nice long chat with our housing director, who has been on the phone with the utility company since yesterday. She was going to go over to the apartment and have it all checked out. We all were very excited at the thought that we would have running water when we got back. So off we went to the gardens, with a bunch of friends and a couple program advisors.

We walked over Ponte Vecchio (the jewelry bridge) and I realized that this was my very first time on the other side of the Arno River. It was really cool to see all the little jewelry shops and clothing stores. Then it rises up in front of you, Pitti Palace, which is where the Boboli Gardens are. If I was ever going to go back in time and live somewhere, I would really love to be a Medici child – they had an amazing house.

We went into the gardens and you catch your breath – it is huge and it is so beautiful. We went to a grotto, where there is a secret tunnel, which leads to a covered bridge (it is on top of the jewelry stores on the Ponte Vecchio) and then that leads to the Uffizi Museum, which is where the Medicis ruled Florence (way before it was a museum). And this was all put into place because it allowed the Medici to walk to the office without crossing paths with a commoner – the first version of head-of-state security. The grotto is really cool; I first thought it was falling apart but then I realized they built it to look like a sea cave. The walls were adorned with plaster seaweed, shells, and sand deposits. It was spectacular.

Being ruled by our stomachs, we asked our program advisors if we could have our picnic before looking through the massive gardens. They agreed and we walked to a meadow with a big chestnut tree and we spread out blankets and had lunch (yummy tortellini). It was so amazing – there was a lookout point and we could see all of Florence and the mountains. It was peaceful and quiet and it was a good time of reconnection with all my friends. We ate, laughed, and traded stories of the week.

After lunch, we walked around the gardens and headed back to the apartment because the rain clouds began to form over Florence. As we walked into our apartment, I walked into the bathroom and turned on the sink to see if we had water (out of habit now). I was delighted to see water coming out of the faucet! After taking a real shower, I got dressed, had some dinner (yummy pesto pasta), and my roommate and I headed out and met up with friends for a night of dancing and fun. It was the perfect end to the perfect day.

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Bella Catherina,
    A perfect day indeed!
    I am so glad you went to Boboli gardens! I went there too when I visited with yiayia four years ago. That first view of the series of steps and fountains surging upward took my breath away (as did actually climbing those steps!) What about that gorgeous turquoise little building, a whimsical lodge off the side of the palace? It looks like a giant piece of candy! But you are more fortunate, because I didn't know about the grotto, nor the secret tunnel. It makes sense that those Medicis wouldn't want to rub shoulders with those fetid commoners. After experiencing the lack of water for bathing for three days yourself you can see why the renaissance aristocracy relied on tunnels and perfume, while the poor had only vinegar to stave off foul b.o.
    Keep those wonderful experiences coming,
    Love,
    Thea Cleo

    ReplyDelete